What Is Christianity?
Christianity, predominantly is a religion based upon the teachings and miracles of Jesus. Jesus is also referred to as Jesus of Nazareth and Jesus Christ. It is said that he was a Jewish preacher and religious leader.
Jesus is seen to be God's son and was conceived by the "Holy Spirit", and born of a virgin circa 6 B.C. in Bethlehem. He lived in poverty, and was unknown outside of Nazareth. He had neither wealth nor influence.
Most of Jesus's life is told through the four Gospels of the New Testament Bible, which form a large part of the Christian faith. They are written to provoke the faith in Jesus as the Messiah, who came to teach, suffer and die for people’s sins.
Jesus is a figure that belongs not just to the Christian faith, but is recognised around other faiths, but in different contexts. For example:
Jesus Claimed to Be the Messiah
While ancient Jews denied Jesus was the Messiah, they did acknowledge Jesus made this claim publicly.
Jews believe he was crucified
Jesus Was a Miracle Worker
Ancient Jews also acknowledged Jesus had supernatural powers and performed miracles. They usually deny, however, Jesus’ power came from God. Instead, they often claimed Jesus wielded the power of the Devil
Jesus Was Born of a Virgin
The Quran talks of Mary as a virgin prior to her miracle of a conception. The conversation between Mary and Allah can be seen in the Quran, and Mary is told that she will become pregnant without any human involvement.
Jesus Was A Prophet
Islam affirms Jesus (known as “Isa” or “Eesa”) was one of God’s most important prophets
Jesus Was a Teacher
Muslims acknowledge Jesus was a divinely wise teacher. The Quran reports Jesus’ disciples, as a result of His teaching, were filled with compassion and mercy
Jesus Was A Miracle Worker
Muslims believe Jesus performed many miracles
Jesus Was An Enlightened Man
Most Buddhists acknowledge and respect the fact Jesus lived a self-sacrificial life and had compassion on those who were in spiritual need
Jesus Was a Holy Man
The current Dalai Lama often describes Jesus as a “holy man” and includes Jesus in his list of such people
There are many other religions and faiths that recognise Jesus, like the Hindus, who see him as a holy man, a wise teacher, and is a ‘god’; while the New Age believers recognise that Jesus was a wise moral teacher
A summery of the Christian beliefs:
- There is one God, who created the heaven and earth.
- Good people on earth are rewarded eternally in heaven, and that the wicked who die unrepentant will be punished for ever in hell.
- There are ten Commandments of God and of the Church.
- Jesus died for the sins of his people in order to save them, and is seen as the saviour.
The ten commandments that are said to have been written on tablets are used as the basic moral code of all Christian life. These commandments are:
- I am the LORD thy God, Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Beside Me
- Thou Shalt Not Worship Any Graven Images
- Thou Shalt Not Take the Name of the Lord Thy God in Vain
- Remember the Sabbath Day to Rest and Keep it Holy
- Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother
- Thou Shalt Not Kill
- Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery
- Thou Shalt Not Steal
- Thou Shalt Not Bear False Witness
- Thou Shalt Not Covet Anything That is Thy Neighbor’s